The New York State Office for the Aging (NYSOFA) and the New York State Division of Veterans’ Services have partnered with GetSetUp – a peer-to-peer online learning community for people aged 50 and over – to deliver a new series of courses in January and February specifically on Veterans Benefits.
These recently announced offers build on NYSOFA’s collaboration with the Association on Aging in New York (Aging-NY) and GetSetUp to address social isolation by providing training on the use of standard devices, the online and lifelong learning; and efforts to address social isolation. Partnership programs will be offered to seniors through the network of regional agencies on aging (AAA) and state aging service partners.
The new series for veterans will address the myths surrounding veterans benefits, opening the door for veterans and military families to receive the benefits, programs, services and resources available to them as a result of their service. .
The courses include the following subjects:
- January 7 – Down with the myths! Get rid of the mythology that has kept you from getting the veteran benefits you rightfully deserve.
- January 14 – Disability Award: How to get fair compensation for any injury or illness you suffered during your military service.
- January 21 – VA Health Care: Connect with the US Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services.
- Jan 28 – Character of release cases: right historical injustices for veterans regarding the character of release.
- February 4 – Focus on the Family: Benefits, Services and Resources for Immediate Family Members of Veterans.
NYSOFA and the Association on Aging in New York – which represents New York’s 59 AAAs – first teamed up with GetSetUp in May 2021 in a multi-faceted effort to address social isolation. in the COVID-19 pandemic.
To date, the partnership has connected 54,000 seniors to interactive online courses that help promote physical, mental and social health.
The platform offers over 2,000 classes / classes and a growing schedule of over 500 live classes and weekly social programs including: how to use tech devices, exercise and fitness classes, healthy cooking, management stress, book clubs, gardening, travel and more.
Anyone aged 50 and over in New York State can access the full course schedule by visiting NYSOFA’s GetSetUp learning channel and using the partner coupon code NYSTATE.
A new referral feature has been added to the platform, allowing a friend or caregiver to easily enroll a friend remotely to try GetSetUp courses. To do this, visit www.getsetupfriend.com, select ‘booking for someone else’, enter an email address or phone number and create an account using the partnership code NYSTATE.
The referral process is a great way to help an elderly relative, friend or neighbor connect to the platform.