To obtain an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. The deadline is 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
- March 13: Family Fun Day, 12-3 p.m., Larimore Dam Recreation Area near Larimore, North Dakota. Ice fishing tournament for youth 15 and under, ice curling, snow painting, goal shooting competition and various other games and activities throughout the afternoon. Chili, hot dogs, hot chocolate and water will be available for voluntary donation. The event will take place at Willys in case of bad weather. For further information: Curt, (218) 791-0886; John, (218) 791-9564; or Allen, (218) 779-7372.
- April 3: Minnesota Sporting Collectors Show, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Medina Entertainment Center, 500 Highway 55, Medina, Minnesota. Admission $5; free entry from 16 years old. Over 200 tables, with exhibitors from eight states in attendance. For further information: Dale, [email protected] or (612) 272-0536.
- April 8: Glenn Allen Paur Lecture, 12:20 p.m., UND Memorial Union Small Ballroom, 2901 University Ave., Grand Forks. The keynote speaker is Steve Williams, UND alumnus, president of the Wildlife Management Institute, and former director of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, who will speak on “Forty Years in an Evolving Wildlife Profession.”
- March 16, 17: Catfish University, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Expressway Inn and Suites, 4303 17th Ave. S., Fargo. Parts 2 and 3 of three two-hour sessions led by Red River Catfish Guide Brad Durick: Part 2 is Catfish Catching and Part 3 is Advanced Catfishing. Cost: $20 per seminar. Info: catfishuniversity.com.
- March 18-20: Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo, presented by Minnesota Trout Unlimited, Hamline University Walker Fieldhouse, 1550 Hewitt Ave., St. Paul. Show times 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. on March 18, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on March 19 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on March 20. Tickets/info: greatwatersflyexpo.com.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its hunting, fishing, and outdoor learning webinar series this spring. The webinars, which are free, start at noon on Wednesday and pre-registration is required at mndnr.gov. The webinars are also recorded and available online. The next webinars are:
- March 16: Understand rifle cartridges. DNR Shooting Sports Education Specialist Kraig Kiger and guest Phillip Massaro, writer, shooter and world big game hunter, will discuss which caliber to shoot for which game.
- March 23: Rainbow trout fishing. James Burnham, R3 Coordinator, and Aaron Gerlovich, Minnesota Steelheader Manager, talk about fly fishing for springtime rainbow trout along the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota.
- March 30: Fishing for raw fish. Corey Geving, founder of roughfish.com, will talk about rough fish, why to fish them and how to catch them.
- April 6: Sharp-tailed grouse observation and hunting. Jake Granfors, with Minnesota Pheasants Forever, will talk about the behavior, biology, Minnesota range, and habitat needs of sharp tails.
- April 13: Discover the Becoming an Outdoors Woman program. DNR Becoming an Outdoors Woman (BOW) Program Coordinator Linda Bylander and Minnesota Steelheader Lisa Murphy will share information about the BOW program and upcoming in-person classes for women and families to fish for rainbow trout. in sky. Lisa will also share tips on how to fish for rainbow trout on Lake Superior’s North Shore and where to find more information.
- April 20: 4-H sport and wildlife shooting program. A look at the program and goals through the eyes of young leaders in the project area.
- April 27: Minnesota 4-H Outdoor Adventure Program. The webinar will explore the events and programs that are offered and how youth and adult leaders can get involved.
- May 4: Wild rice management. The webinar will share some of DNR’s common wild rice management techniques and highlight some success stories.
- May 11: Favorite fishing lures of MNR staff. DNR staffers share some of their top secret lures and how to use them.
- May 18: Walleye fishing for beginners. Nancy Koep, professional angler and bait shop owner, will cover the basics of walleye fishing. She will also provide information on her Becoming an Outdoors Woman Walleye Fishing Weekend scheduled for July 2022.
- May 25: Youth fishing leagues. Eric Altena, DNR Director of Fisheries and bass fishing expert, will share ideas and resources to help young anglers connect with Minnesota’s growing number of high school fishing leagues and clubs.